Re: how to examine the wireless

I have installed the latest kernel,
:/home/lina# uname -a
Linux debian 3.2.0-rc63.2-mj-lina #1 SMP Sat Dec 17 13:14:26 SGT 2011
x86_64 GNU/Linux

(sorry a bit mistake during append-to-version, so looks a bit messy,
it's 3.2-rc6)

I used old configure, but during make oldconfig for something new, I
used default.

after finished configure, I checked the .config file:

# cat .config | grep -e BCM -e B43
CONFIG_CAN_BCM=m
CONFIG_BT_HCIBCM203X=m
CONFIG_B43=m
CONFIG_B43_BCMA=y
CONFIG_B43_SSB=y
CONFIG_B43_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43_PCMCIA=y
CONFIG_B43_SDIO=y
CONFIG_B43_BCMA_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43_PHY_N=y
CONFIG_B43_PHY_LP=y
# CONFIG_B43_PHY_HT is not set
CONFIG_B43_LEDS=y
CONFIG_B43_HWRNG=y
CONFIG_B43_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY=m
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_LEDS=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_HWRNG=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA_AND_PIO_MODE=y
# CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA_MODE is not set
# CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PIO_MODE is not set
CONFIG_MOUSE_BCM5974=m
CONFIG_SSB_B43_PCI_BRIDGE=y
CONFIG_BCMA_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_BCMA=m
CONFIG_BCMA_BLOCKIO=y
CONFIG_BCMA_HOST_PCI_POSSIBLE=y
CONFIG_BCMA_HOST_PCI=y
CONFIG_BCMA_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_DVB_BCM3510=m
# CONFIG_BCM_WIMAX is not set

# modprobe -l | grep -e bcma -e b43
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43legacy/b43legacy.ko
kernel/drivers/bcma/bcma.ko

I still don't know how to examine, did some silly try, like plug out
the cable (without cable) to check whether the iceweasle can pop up
some wireless connection login interface, but none.

Thanks ahead for any suggestions about how to check wireless a bit
professionally,

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 02:09:59 +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On 17 Dec, 2011, at 1:33, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think you're best bet would be compiling/installing an updated
>>> kernel. Just in case you need a wireless connection at some time...
>
>> You mean get the one from kernel.org.
>
> Not necessarily. I have used both sources, Debian's kernel and vanilla
> (upstream) sources and both have been compiled fine without headaches.
>
>> I used to take from Sid one.
>
> Sure, that's also fine.
>
>>> It's easy and have no side effects: if it works, perfect, you can use
>>> it on you every day work. If it doesn't and/or does not fit your
>>> expectations and/or generates extra problems, remove it and keep Debian
>>> stock's one :-)
>
>> Before I met some threads saying the wireless caused the system failed
>> to boot or some other issue. Just vague impression.
>
> Nah, there should be no problems at all. In the worst scenario, you can
> always boot with the usual kernel, the one that works. You have nothing
> to lose, just a few time it takes the compilation process but as you have
> a farm of clusters near you that can be ~20/30 minutes ;-P
Ha ... I have never thought of using clusters to make kgpg,
(deep in my heart, I felt less-worry when I did it on the laptop,
cause secretly wish that the .configure can be a bit intelligent, can
probe which would be y, which would be m, I configured it very very
blindly.)
well ... a "farm" of clusters, precisely speaking, it's a little
orchard, with starfruit, pulasan, pineapple, grapefruit,rambutan, even
strawberry and cherry, also some sugarcany and else...haha ..well a
small galaxy...so people can land on mars, jupiters, but those are
pretty old ready-to-be-retired machines.
Funny name though.

>>> In such case (having an extra wired connection available and no need to
>>> use a wifi link) you can take a bag of popcorn, grab a seat and
>>> patiently wait.
>>
>> Lol. Such an irresistible temptation,
>>
>> Haha... I surrender and will try on weekend.
>>
>> (-: Thanks for your sweet encouragement. :- )
>
> Okay, just remember don't shooting the "encouraging messenger" (that's
> me) when something goes wrong (:-D

P.S I am not so mean, haha ... but thanks for your reminding, will try
to sublime myself to reach the "mean" level.
(you know I am kidding? do you? in case you don't know, gives some hint here :-)