upgrade-report: errors from squeeze tar unpacking packages from testing (Re: Upgrade from stable to testing problem)

Hi Hans,

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> some weeks ago I made a fresh instrallation on a notebook with debian/stable.
>
> Well, then I started a aptitiude full-upgrade, but it did not work. I found
> out, the reason for it, was, that the installed version of tar could not
> unpack the packages of debian/testing.

This sounds reminiscent of <http://bugs.debian.org/642802>.

It would be a serious bug, except the necessary version of tar had been in
squeeze for more than a year already.  What version of tar were you
using when you ran into this?  (/var/log/dpkg.log should say.)  What
error message did you get from aptitude when problems arose?  (I think
aptitude keeps this kind of information somewhere in /var/log, such as
aptitude.log or term.log, but I'm not sure.)

Thanks,
Jonathan