Re: New kernel version availability.

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 01:28:59 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> How do I find out if there is a new version of linux kernel package is
> available? - I mean, having 3.1 installed, to know that 3.2 is
> available?

If it is available, the upgrade routine will auto-fetch it, as long as
you have the kernel metapackage installed (for a 64-bits kernel that's
"linux-image-amd64" package).

> For the present I do it by
>
> apt-cache search linux-image
>
> and then look for what is available.
>
> Is there a more elegant way?

"apt-get update && apt-get -V dist-upgrade" is what I use to run in
wheezy.

> PS apt-cache policy linux-image-exact_version shows only updates for the
> version - and not a new kernel version s 3.2 vs. 3.1

Anyway, AFAICS the latest available kernel in Debian is 3.1 (testing/sid)
and 3.2 (for experimental). What branch are you running?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón