Re (3): automating x permission on a file & some [OT] chatter.

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:43:07 -0700
> > To obtain rsync, the client system would have to be changed.
>
> I think hacking the ftp backend will always be problematic.

Understood.  Really I meant that the ETHO operating system would
have to be replaced with Linux or Plan 9 or Inferno.  Possible but not
appealing.

> Is it possible to script a file transfer process?

Yes, with ET.Do <ScriptFile>.

> Put the file you
> want into an incoming dropbox first.  Then upload an additional
> control file along with it.

The mere presence of a static control file can never make a freshly
uploaded script executable?  Always something must trigger the change
in permission?

What about making a wrapper for the script interpreter?  The wrapper
would first make the script executable and then apply the interpreter.

> at some point in the future it would be easy to
> convert this to using gpg signed files and then it would be secure
> even over an insecure network.  A plus for a future expansion..

Interesting idea.  That would use the extant SSH code in ETHO along
with newly written code to implement gpg?  ETHO is elegant but not
mature.  Needs more features.  The more we have, the more we need
... or at least want.

Thanks,                   ... Peter E.

--
New telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Old telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca
Work "http://carnot.yi.org/";.
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary";.