Re (2): automating x permission on a file & some [OT] chatter.

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:45:19 -0700
> Is there a constraint that you must use ftp? ...

ETHNO has FTP and SSH.Send but not rsync.  SSH.Send requires
painfully more time than FTP does.  To obtain rsync, the client
system would have to be changed.

> It sends passwords in the clear ...

These systems are inside a VPN used only by me.  No concern for security.

> [ACL] would be much better for rsync over ssh.  Start using rsync using
> the -a option ...

I'd have difficulty jettisoning ETHNO as my primary workstation.  This
excerpt from the oberon@lists.inf.ethz.ch archive explains better than
I can.

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:32:20 -0500
> ... the oberon system is the most elegant
> piece of software i have ever seen. ... rob pike
> thought he had a powerful windowing and editing system
> ... until someone sat him down in front of an oberon system.
> ... oberon is the ultimate in xerox parc style personal systems,
> and plan 9 is the ultimate 21st century unix.

I'll see whether an ACL can make the freshly FTPed file rwx.

Thanks for the replies,                 ... Peter E.

--
New telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Old telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca
Work "http://carnot.yi.org/";.
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary";.