Re: Reboot and all I get is a grub prompt.

Johann Spies <jspies@sun.ac.za> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 03:38:22PM +0200, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I'm bunrning a systemRescue cd now... but any suggestions will be most
>> welcome.
>
> Booting with a live CD (like systemRescue) or the standard Debian
> Install CD will help.
>
> 'chroot' to the system and do an 'update-grub'.

Writing this from chroot.

When I run update-grub, it appears to be working but ends with
something akin to an error:

  root # update-grub
  Generating grub.cfg ...
  Found background image:
  /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
  Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-1-686-pae
  Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-1-686-pae
  Cannot find list of partitions!  (Try mounting /sys.)
  done

So its not clear if it has finished properly or what.

Apparently /sys is not populated in a chroot, or there is something I
needed to run before chroot.

Anyway, I'm going to try booting manually again with ArntK's addition
of adding the initrd line to the grub commands