Re: Are Web-API packages need to be in the 'main' repo ?

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 20:20:16 +0200, Alexey Eromenko wrote:

>> And I'm not saying that this kind of things shouldn't be discussed, on
>> the contrary, I'd keep tracking any application that is susceptible of
>> changing its mind. Also, CC'ing to "debian-legal" could be a good idea.
>
> Thanks. I have contacted debian-legal.
>
> And no, acting after those web APIs break is a bad idea.

But why have they to break? Afterall, it can "break" any package.

> It is the same as depending on a non-free library. In the future more
> packages will start depend on non-free web API, and a single change by
> non-free provider will wipe out a major chunk of Debian. It will be very
> costly then. Look what happened with xBSD family -- they were locked out
> of the market for 3 years due to legal battle, and had to rewrite major
> chunk of OS.
> So we must act before bad things happen.

I can't make any additional comments on this because it's still unclear
to me what's the involved package(s) we are talking about and why you are
so afraid it becomes dependant on a non-free API :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón