Re: what's with pulseaudio

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 19:13:51 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:32:03 +0000, I wrote:
>
>>> Sometime in the last month or two a regular upgrade of my Wheezy
>>> systems caused them to start running /usr/bin/pulseaudio.
>
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:58:39 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón replied:
>
>> Yes, it is a requirement at least for the "gnome-core" metapackage. For
>> others DE I can't tell.
>
> I don't use gnome but do have it all installed.

There you have it.

But if you are not login into a GNOME session, I think PA should not be
started by default.

>>> And what's in these .pulse-cookie files?  I'm leery of anything with
>>> "cookie" in its name.
>
>> Hum... "man 5 pulse-client.conf" says:
>>
>> ***
>> cookie-file= Specify the path to the PulseAudio authentication cookie.
>> Defaults to ~/.pulse-cookie.
>> ***
>
> That's reassuring.  I guess I'll leave everything as it stands.  Thanks.

My wild guess is that, being PA a network sound server, it has to have a
way for managing different user settings, similar in the way a web server
does, and that's the reason for the cookies: to keep a track of client's
tasks for the audio stack.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón