Re: what's with pulseaudio

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:32:03 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:

> Sometime in the last month or two a regular upgrade of my Wheezy systems
> caused them to start running /usr/bin/pulseaudio.

(...)

Yes, it is a requirement at least for the "gnome-core" metapackage. For
others DE I can't tell.

(...)

> Did pulseaudio replace some other audio system?

In GNOME, yes. At least is now the default instead ESD:

https://live.gnome.org/PulseAudio

> If I shut it down will I have no sound?  (I'll try this if no one
> happens to know the answer.)

You will have not sound unless you install an additional audio system as
a replacement that is compatible with your current DE/WM :-)

>  And what's in these .pulse-cookie files?  I'm leery of anything with
> "cookie" in its name.

Hum... "man 5 pulse-client.conf" says:

***
cookie-file= Specify the path to the PulseAudio authentication cookie.
Defaults to ~/.pulse-cookie.
***

Greetings,

--