Re (2): Laptop with external display running X11.

First an update.  I stumbled on the mention of the firmware-linux-nonfree
package in this page.  http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=60238
That appears to provide a required driver.  I must have removed the package
inadvertently about a week ago when X failed.  So now I have the broken xdm
display again.  http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/A22m.jpg

From:	Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
Date:	Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:32:54 -0700
> What does xrandr say?

root@whiterock:~# xrandr -v -q
xrandr program version       1.3.3
Can't open display

And xdm is showing the broken login display?

*	From: deloptes <deloptes@yahoo.com>
*	Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:01:45 +0100
> I mean you need xorg.conf with configuration options that will solve your
> problem (if it's not an X.org bug)

Two points.  Given that the intention in Squeeze is for X to be
configured automatically and given that this video hardware
apparently needs firmware-linux-nonfree installation be automated?
If so, failure of automatic installation of firmware-linux-nonfree
is a bug.

Once the firmware is available, the second problem is that the X
display is broken.  To my naive thinking, appears that the automated
setting for the display size doesn't match the hardware properly.
Fixing it is another question.

Thanks for any further ideas,       ... Peter E.

--
New telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Old telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca
Work "http://carnot.yi.org/";.
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary";.