Re: Re (3): Laptop with external display running X11.

peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

>> download and try ubuntu and write back
>
> Googling finds a wide variety of similar problems and some
> solutions, in Ubuntu and elsewhere.  Before more time is wasted
> thrashing around, I'll happily test suggested edits of my xorg.conf.
>
> Thanks,               ... Peter E.

Sorry, got a lot of work to do this week.
For ati you need the ati linux driver, then you can use the ati config tool
to manage the displays. This needs to compile and it is not working on some
computers. If it is complicated or not working try r128.
For r128 you can do 'man r128' to get info about the options. there are also
plenty of setup hints in the web

regards