Re: setting up WiFi adapter (Broadcom BCM4321 14e4:4328 chipset) in latest version of Debian

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 12:07:24PM -0800, Colin Reinhardt wrote:
> Im new to Debian/Linux...
> I have tried following the Debian Wireless-HowTo and other related
> Linux WiFi HowTos.
>
> I downloaded and installed the firmware-b43-installer and
> b43-fwcutter, (synaptic shows them as installed packages now).
>
> In Gnome, using network-manager (applet) there is nothing about
> wireless networks shown at all, only my wired LAN ethernet network is
> an option.
>
> How can I tell if my PCI card is being detected and firmware loaded
> correctly, and what are the next steps to get WiFi working?
> Thanks, Colin

Commands like 'lspci' and 'lshw' should help you figure out whether or not
the actual hardware is detected.  Then, 'lsmod' displays whether or not
the kernel module is loaded.  You can also run 'ifconfig -a' as root.  As
far as I know, even if the interface is not configured, it should still
show it in the output, as long as it is detected and the kernel module is
successfully loaded.

Here is a troubleshooting document that may be of some help, even though
it was written for Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessTroubleShootingGuide

--
Nitebirdz