Re: gksu: Couldn't set environment variable...

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 13:08:39 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón.
>
> Just several notes from me (as considerations).

>>> Because if a less privileged user can do it than it is OK to suppose
>>> the root user will do the same.
>>
>>In this case is not a matter of privileges. It's a matter of
>>configuration files that could have been messed up or set with the wrong
>>perms.
>
> I do not think it is the case - for as I have told You, that I have
> removed the dir.s of interest and therefore, since it was created again
> (at the test as You suggested - to reboot), it should not be:
>
> 1. messed up
>
> 2. have wrong permissions.

It's not that easy, I'm afraid.

The application you want to run with "gksu" can be in the need of calling
additional libraries that are not located inside the "~/.config"
directory but system wide.

So why don't you just run...

gksu -d chromium
gksu -d qbittorrent

And tell us what happens? :-)

>>As root user is usually never called to run GUI based applications,
>>root's configuration files use to be "clean" as if they have been
>>installed from scratch. How I could say it? Root user is, in this
>>regard, like a virgin user :-)
>
> I have two points to resist the assumption:
>
> 1. The "normal" user was a new one - that is the home dir. was empty,
> where as
>
> 2. The root's environment can be already being messed up (for example,
> because such "tests" already have been done) - therefore can't be
> supposed absolutely being a "virgin".

Try and tell.

>>> Interesting another thing:
>>>
>>> 1. under another (new user) it works.
>>
>>Yes, and you can use this fact to compare the permissions for the
>>configuration files for the user where it works and the other where
>>doesn't.
>
> I have checked every dir./file in (.dbus, .gconf, .gconfd, .gksu.lock) -
> all have identical permissions except for user names.

I meant directeories under "~/.config".

Okay, run "ls -la .config/*/" so we can see what's in there...

>>> 2. For the given user it works but not for these two app.s...
>>
>>Look deeper inside at the "~/.config" folder and check out the
>>permissions that hold the files of that two specific applications.
>
> The dir. is not created when the newuser executes gksu for target user.

Then find where are those applications storing the configuration data, it
has to be somewhere under the user's profile.

> Look, as the newuser can run the 2 app.s for target user, is it possible
> such a trick:
>
> /usr/bin/gksu -u newuser /usr/bin/gksu -u target_user /usr/bin/qbittorrent
>
> ? :)

What a mess!

It should be just fine with "gksu -l newuser qbittorrent"

("man gksu" for additional parameters to keep/discard the current user
environmental variables)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón