Re: Detach Icedove from xterm itself called from terminal.

Le 30/11/2011 17:02, Clive Standbridge a écrit :
> I don't know anything about Lua, but searching around suggests that
> os.execute executes its command in a shell, not directly. In that case
> you should be able to use a command like
>
> icedove &

No, that didn't work, the terminal closes and icedove never opens.

> but if that causes icedove to be closed immediately, you could try
>
> nohup icedove &

Doesn't work either. However, without the ampersand, the terminal
doesn't close but at least Icedove isn't attached to it, so I can close
the terminal manually.

Le 30/11/2011 17:25, Iuri Guilherme dos Santos Martins a écrit :
> Well, the example i gave you opens another terminal (xterm) and opens
> icedove without closing the first terminal nor the second (assuming
> that you was using xterm in the first place).
>
> If you want the terminal to be closed, you may use:
>
> echo exit > xterm -e `icedove &` & (if you want the xterm you use to
> open icedove closes)

But Icedove still stays attached to the first terminal...

I know it would be just simpler to write everything as a shell script
directly, but I'm unfamiliar with the language, whereas I have some
experience in Lua.

Thanks to both,
Paul