AW: AW: [OT] Computer box as earth

Title: AW: AW: [OT] Computer box as earth

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: John Hasler [mailto:jhasler@debian.org]
Gesendet: Mi 11/30/2011 15:49
An: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Betreff: Re: AW: [OT] Computer box as earth

David Christensen writes:
> You should terminate the surge protector ground lead under the
> faceplate screw of a grounded receptacle.

You should do likewise with the ground leads of the computer and
router.  All three devices should supplied from the same grounded
circuit (preferably from the same outlet).  Your goal is to assure that
when lightning strikes the power line or the phone line all of your
machines are held at the same potential so that current will not flow
from one to another via the signal lines.
--
John Hasler

Correct, if there's no task like professional audio recording or professional measurements, this is the best way to ground, by theory even for those task it's the best way, in practice it isn't for those tasks. Anyway, as mentioned before, a Type 3 device doesn't protect against lightning strikes, as long as for your house there aren't the Type 1 and Type 2 devices. If there aren't those prestages such Type 3 devices are useless against lightning strikes. Anyway, they protect against less dramatic overvoltage. I still don't think that such an overvoltage could be caused by circuit for a network connection, simple circuits could and AFAIK do protect against to high 'currents' and 'overvoltage', I might be mistaken regarding to the circuit protection, but I'm not mistaken regarding to a Type 3 device as lightning stroke protection. I still connect such type 3 devices, even if for my house there aren't no type 1 and type 2 devices. If you have good luck, it could protect your hardware, e.g. against overvoltage that isn't caused by lightning. Ahainst lightnink it never ever will protect without the prestages. A friend several times had bad luck.

0,02 €,

Ralf