Re: how to transfer APT packages between different devices?

Tom Roche Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM
>> My old laptop is up-to-date on LMDE with many add-on APT packages.
>> I'm now qualifying a new laptop, from a different vendor, on which
>> I have installed LMDE from live USB. How best/easiest to transfer
>> the packages from the first laptop to the second, without causing
>> (e.g.) driver problems?

Ralf Mardorf Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:13:28 +0100
> Why don't you just backup your running Linux by tar from a live cd
> e.g. to an USB stick, partition the new drive and extract it on the
> new laptop?

The old laptop's partitioning is very different from the new laptop's.
The old laptop is pure linux. The new laptop has a first "rescue
partition" from the vendor and a second W7 partition (which I would
like to keep for occasional use, notably ArcGIS), followed by the
linux partitions.

But the rest of your suggestion resembles what I believe I need:

> start in recovery mode

I shoulda thoughta that :-) and I know how. What I don't know is,
how to identify and

> change [packages] that need to be changed, e.g. the graphics driver.

How do I determine the names of the packages that need to be changed?
E.g., if I observe a graphics problem, how to tell which packages are
involved?

your assistance is appreciated, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>