Re: Re: Subversion in sid / QA page

Farmbuyer:

> I do some work on a few OSS projects whose site hosts have moved to 1.7.
> All my SVN client operations stopped functioning with a message saying that
> the working checkouts were "too old (format 10 created by Subversion 1.6)",
> and that I needed to run 'svn upgrade' in my working copies.  Did that, went
> back to work, didn't think much of it at the time.

This is expected behaviour:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.7.html

> Now I've moved to a different workstation setup, using Debian, and of course
> those 1.7 working copies won't fly under 1.6.

Dito, and 1.7 is not the first version which makes working copies
unusable with older clients. It is (to my knowledge) the first SVN
version that makes the working copy upgrade an explicit command, though.
Older versions just quietly upgraded working copies without ever asking
you.

> I had no luck trying to get fresh checkouts using 1.6 (under the
> theory that the server will notice and downgrade its actions, which
> IIRC the subversion server was always good about doing),

True, and it should still be possible to do a checkout from an SVN 1.7
server using a 1.6 client.

> but now I don't have the error messages handy.  Figured a 1.7
> client would be the easiest solution.

Maybe, but it shouldn't be necessary.

J.
--
When I am at nightclubs I enjoy looking at other people and assessing
their imagined problems.