Re: .deb / dpkg for dummies

At first, hello everyone - I subscribed yesterday.

You know, every time since the beginning of my adventure with linux (about 1998) I get this message "try man *". it's pointless you know? Every man who is familiar with linux is aware that there is something like manpages there.

When someone ask for a tip then he is awaiting for a tip and not sentence which means in simply words - "You're stupid, and you've got lice on your navel."

In other words. I would like to read something simplified first, see some effects which can make me a _hero_ in my own eyes and _then_ go deeper (man pages in this case).

Sorry, but manpages are long, complicated and discouraging for newbies.

It's definitely better to recommend some simple web guide first. What develops curiosity in linux word is success IMO.

Anyway.. "Check manpage" is like "check google". When we're looking for answer, we can find only thousands of "check google" answers in google. That's the effect.

No offence. That's only my opinion and I think it's like "fight with windmills" anyway. :)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Alex Mestiashvili <alex@biotec.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
On 11/27/2011 07:53 PM, Rogelio wrote:
> Is there a good overview on how to really use these tools?
>
> I simply copy/paste commands all the time, and I'm hoping for some
> sort of primer or tutorial that helps be able to do this from scratch
> without a cheat sheet.

Hi ,

I think the simplest way to learn something is to look up a man page
each time something isn't clear .
The documentation is already on your system - man dpkg .
Have a nice day ,
Alex