Re: Upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze

Oops! I sent my reply directly to Stephen, again.

On 11/27/11 15:10, Stephen Powell wrote:
Since your permanent root file system is not a logical volume, chances are
there is no LVM stuff in your initial RAM file system.  Therefore, it is
trying to access the SUSPEND/RESUME device before it is available.
I don't recommend using a logical volume as a swap device anyway.
It adds too much overhead.  The swap device should be the highest performance
device you have, in most cases.  I recommend that you change your swap file
to a regular disk partition in /etc/fstab.  Also make sure that the "pass"
variable for the swap device is set to zero, as you did for the mountable
devices.  Also change the specification of the SUSPEND/RESUME device in
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume.  Then run

    update-initramfs -uk $(uname -r)

I have no such file on my system.  In fact,

    /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/

is an completely empty directory. Presumably I should create the file and include a specification for the SUSPEND/RESUME device. Is there a man page, or help file, that tells how to do this?

Since my swap partition is smaller than my RAM, however, trying to write all of memory to the swap partition is likely to be less than totally successful, anyway. Can it be turned off? This is a desktop box. It is always plugged in and I do not put the box to sleep. Why would I need a SUSPEND/RESUME device?

Is this something new with Squeeze?  I never had this issue with Lenny?

Marc