Re: Graphics corruption with Radeon X1270 (RS690M)

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 08:13:33 -0500, Carl wrote in message
<[🔎] 20111126131333.GA5347@panix.com>:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 02:06:00PM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> > ..are you using the "radeon" driver?
>
> Yes.
>
> > (2 more alternatives to try, "radeonhd" and
> > "fglrx", I have no experience with those.)
>
> Neither exists in wheezy, according to aptitude. The radeonhd
> homepage says that most distros are now dumping it in favor of radeon.

..we're all ok with that. ;o)

> > ..do you use "non-UTF-8" fonts or locales?  Try go "UTF-8-only."
>
> Can you explain in more detail? I haven't done much with this in the
> past and web searches are hard when my screen looks like this:

..try plug in another screen and see what happens.

..run 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' and pick or verify you have picked
all your relevant UTF-8 locales, you may want to toss out your
"ISO-8859-*" locales.  Next, run aptitude and trawl 'n haul in
"all" UTF-8 fonts, and make those your apps, wm, DE etc defaults.

> > > See screenshots here:  http://panix.com/~carlf/files
>
> > ..show us lshw's *-display:0 section.
>

>           *-display
>                 product: RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
>                 vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
>                 physical id: 5
>                 bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
>                 version: 00
>                 width: 64 bits
>                 clock: 33MHz
>                 capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master
> cap_list rom configuration: driver=radeon latency=64
>                 resources: irq:18 memory:d0000000-dfffffff
> memory:f0100000-f010ffff ioport:9000(size=256)
> memory:f0000000-f00fffff *-pci:1
>

> (Indentation above as shown by lshw.)
>
> Thanks.

..and 'xrandr --verbose' says?

..also chk KMS, http://www.google.com/search?q=Debian+radeon+KMS
is a good starting point, http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting
and will be set by default in /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf:
"options radeon modeset=1"

..chk the other ones (/etc/modprobe.d/*.conf) too for conflicting
configs or fb etc drivers that should have been blacklisted.

..also chk bug reports, a fix is probably on its way, I saw mention
of "linux-3.1 not working with radeon."

..I had a vaguely similar issue a coupla years back that I fixed
making new and slightly slower modelines, I was pushing my card
too hard and got white flickering, but only in FlightGear.
FG is fairly tough on graphics hw and may help diagnose it.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: