Re: Graphics corruption with Radeon X1270 (RS690M)

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 07:37:34 -0500, Carl wrote in message
<[🔎] 20111126123734.GA7741@panix.com>:

> So I wanted to activate video acceleration on my Gateway LT3119U
> netbook, which uses the Radeon X1270 chipset (RS690M). I installed
> the package firmware-linux-nonfree and restarted X.

..are you using the "radeon" driver?
(2 more alternatives to try, "radeonhd" and
"fglrx", I have no experience with those.)

> Before the upgrade, GNOME3 reported that it couldn't fully activate
> because of my system's limitations. Afterward it activated and
> immediately corrupted the video horribly. I switched to a "fallback"
> session, which will remain uncorrupted for up to two minutes before
> becoming corrupted somewhat less horribly. Then I tried Openbox,
> which takes a few minutes longer to corrupt, then becomes utterly
> unreadable.

..do you use "non-UTF-8" fonts or locales?  Try go "UTF-8-only."

> See screenshots here:  http://panix.com/~carlf/files
>
> Short of reverting to unaccelerated video, any suggestions? I'm
> running Debian Wheezy, above system with 2 gigabytes of RAM, using
> the AMD64 kernel. LSPCI reports:
>
> root@cf-gw:~# lspci | grep -i vga
> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M
> [Radeon X1200 Series]
>
> No xorg.conf at the moment.

..show us lshw's *-display:0 section.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: