Re: KDE activities

On 27/11/11 11:11, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

Its a bit difficult to grasp the concepts and differences between virtual
desktops versus activies. I found the excellent blog of Chani, who
develops on KDE activities as well, very help ful in understand
activities. For example:

{December 26, 2010}   Activity-oriented vs Application-oriented workspaces
http://chani.wordpress.com/

were she describes the differences between GNOME 3 and KDE in that regard
or her screen casts like

{December 18, 2010}   Activities 4.6 screencast
http://chani.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/activities-4-6-screencast/

or

{January 9, 2011}   Activities in Action
http://chani.wordpress.com/category/activities/

I also darkly remember a blog entry of her or someone else that explains
the difference between activities and virtual desktops in a really clear
way. Lets see whether I find that one. Ok, it might have been that one:

The Rise of Plasma Activities and What it can do for You
http://yuenhoe.com/blog/2011/01/the-rise-of-plasma-activities-and-what-it-
can-do-for-you/

of Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe.

Yes, thats it.

I found it through

Activities – A change in workflow?
http://hanschen.org/2011/02/04/activities-a-change-in-workflow/

Thanks - very useful and I think I understand activities now. Very useful concept for me - and one which makes it worthwhile for me to stick back with KDE for a while. Sorry Gnome3 - I liked your concept, but this just a lot better.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk