Re: Offline full installation from USB stick

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 06:42:24PM +0000, chris@pointyhat.org.uk wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's possible to create an easy to update installation
> medium on a USB stick i.e. one that contains the entire Debian distribution?
>
> I am spending a lot of time away from a permanent Internet connection and
> thanks to some paranoia caused by an exploding disk recently, I'd like to be
> able to do a full offline installation without having to carry a pile of CDs
> or DVDs around.  I'd also like to be able to update it occasionally from the
> primary apt repositories without having to download the whole distribution
> again each time.  Ideally the update process would be:
>
> [apt repos] --jigdo?--> [usb stick] --aptitude--> [laptop].
>
> I think this may be possible with jigdo but I can't find any relevant
> information to support this use case.

At the risk of looking like an idiot, I think I've solved the problem
myself. Simply do the initial install using netinst, then make sure that
/var/cache/apt/archives is part of my backup cycle.  If all hell breaks
loose:

1. Do a minimum install from the netinst CD.
2. Run a backup recovery of deb archives to a new directory.
3. aptitude install *.deb from the new directory.
4. Run the remaining backup files in (including configs etc).
5. Reboot.
6. Profit.

Will test this immediately using kvm.

Regards,