Re: Subversion in sid / QA page

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 01:52:30PM -0500, Farmbuyer wrote:

Hi,

> - Every release since 2006 has "dfsg" on it.  It's been too long since I used
>   Debian and I don't remember what is indicated by "dfsg" in a package name,
>   but I vaguely recall it being unusual.

DFSG == Debian Free Software Guidelines
Usually this tag in the name is a hint, that the upstream released tarball had
to be modified. Usually some files had to be remove whic are not distributable
under the DFSG.

> None of that especially worries me, but it does make me wonder:  has anyone
> tried building 1.7.* on a sid system?  Is there anything in the build rules from
> 1.6.* that caused you trouble?  I'd love to avoid solving the same issues from
> scratch if I can.

Try it yourself and read the upstream release notes/changelogs. That's
the way to go in most cases.

> And a meta-question:  where might I look for discussions about future SVN
> package plans?  Searching debian-user archives didn't find anything.  I'm
> hoping the maintainer is just on holiday for a bit.

There are few people noted as uploaders in the current package but the
main maintainer is still Peter Samuelson as you can see here
http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/subversion.html

debian-user is still a user mailinglist so that's not the point to search
for packaging related issue.

Anyway if you use subversion, or just click yourself through the
webvc of the subversion packaging repo, you'll find a part of the repo
which looks like someone is working on 1.7.x packaging:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-subversion/src/1.7.x/

So I'd say checkout that repo and start to build the package to see
what the current state is.

HTH
Sven
--
And I don't know much, but I do know this:
With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.