Re: gksu: Couldn't set environment variable...

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:14:20 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Sthu Deus wrote:
>> I can not run two applications w/ gksu:
>>
>> chromium and
>> qbittorrent
>
> Why do you want to run those applications as root?  You should not do
> this.  Neither of those applications are designed for being run as root.
>  Those should be run as a normal non-root user.

(...)

Just a comment on this.

There are situations that require you to run GUI based apps as root.

For instance, I have to run Firefox/Thunderbird with admin priviledges in
order to get them updated because they were installed system wide and
plain users do not have the rights to run the upgrade routine and apply
the delta patches.

Of course, it does not mean I have to browse the web or keeping the MUA
using the root session, I update the programs and quit ;-)

Also, running an application as root is usually the fastest way to debug
configurations issues with your current user.

Another example: My main system only has two users ("sm01" which is my
plain user and "root") so if a GUI application is behaving in the wrong
way it's quicker to run it with "gksu" than creating a new user and test
with it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón