Re: Full Disk Encryption

J. Bakshi wrote:
> I am always interested in Full disk encryption for my laptop ( i5 +
> 3 GB ), but what makes me stop is the thinking of performance
> lag. Recently I have seen an ububtu laptop ( i5 + 4 GB ) with full
> disk encryption and it is performing normal, haven't found any
> lag...

I have been using full disk encryption on my 2004 T42 1.7GHz Pentium M
with 1G ram without any significant performance issues.  Before I
installed it I benchmarked building various projects of mine both on
an installation without encryption and then on an installation with
encryption.  I don't have the data from that handy now but I recall it
being rather not a big deal.  The safety of the encrypted disk was
much more significant.

That was on my old 1.7GHz Pentium M with 1G of ram.  Any faster
machine should perform better.  Your i5 should blow it away on
performance.  I wouldn't have a concern at all.

> So I am interested to give the FUD a try on my own laptop. How can I
> proceed ? My laptop is debian wheezy with lots of important
> data.. so backup is must.. but what next ? What configuration will
> give me a better performance , LVM based or simple partition based ?
> Presently excluding swap I have 3 reiserfs partition for / ; /home
> and /movie ... no LVM. Like to hear some feedback from you guys..

AFAIK you cannot hot-convert your system.  You will need to create the
filesystem fresh in order to have an encrypted filesystem.  That
obviously means that you should back up everything and offline
someplace so that you can restore your files later.  Because you can't
convert them in place.

But it also means that you have the same opportunity that I had.
After backing everything up so that you can install a clean system you
should install several different configurations and then benchmark
each of those configurations.  Keep track of the data so that you can
compare the performance of each.  Nothing is as powerful as an actual
example with data.

One configuration should be a fresh install with no encryption as a
control.  That should be your baseline peak performance configuration.
One test case should use the smallest encryption key.  One test case
should use a large encryption key.  (IIRC you have choices of AES 128,
196 and 256 bits or something like that.)  Having data in your hand
you won't need to believe FUD and can use the results you have
determined.  I am confident you won't have any reason not to use full
disk encryption.  There will be a performance hit but it provides
safety that is unobtainable otherwise.

The way I like to set up the system is to set up /boot in its own
partition on /dev/sda1.  Then set up the rest of the disk in /dev/sda5
as a logical partition for an encrypted partition.  Then use that
encrypted partition for one large LVM volume.  This includes swap.
You definitely want to encrypt swap along with everything else.  Only
/boot is unencrypted so that it can ask you for the encryption key and
then load the operating system.  Everything else goes into a large lvm
volume on a large encrypted partition.  With only one encrypted
partition it will ask you for the passphrase only once.  (Some people
make the mistake of creating many encrypted partitions and then get
asked the passphrase for each and every one of them at boot time.
Definitely not as friendly.)

Then partition out space for swap and your choice of filesystem
partition assignments.  For my laptop I put everything in one large
root partition.  I am the sole user and it doesn't operate without me
in attendance and therefore I know what is going on with it.  (For a
server I *always* split out /var and quite a few other partitions for
a small of a root partition as possible and resizable partitions for
dedicated applications.)

Bob