Re: What to expect following major update

Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I have only been using Debian since 1993, 18 years, and do not recall
> ever having boot 'not' mounted.  This is on syatems where I had boot
> on a separate partition and, currently, everything on one partition.

I'll defer here.  As I mentioned... I only tinkered with Debian a few
yrs back so my impressions would be very limited and further, might
not have even been related to debian since I tinkered with several.

I did make clear that it was an impression.. only.

> Back then, and currently, vmlinunz was/is in / and linked  to
> /boot/vmlinuz-{kernel-version}.  How does the system boot up if /boot
> is not mounted?

I'm not sure what the mechanism is but I do know for sure I boot very
often without boot mounted and with no vmlinuz in /

I've done so on Debian since I started using debian a month or so ago,
and for years when I used gentoo.

> I must be missing something or I am getting too old to realize that
> Debian is doing magic tricks to confuse me, more then I already am,
> after reading this thread.

Far as I know, boot does not have to be mounted to do its work.

My fstab (lightly edited to prevent wrapping):

proc            /proc           proc    defaults   0       0
# / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=83a94f1d-e6e6-432e-86ad-b24754755fff / ext4  errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=cb58784c-a2dc-48ea-89f6-d5bb2850205c /boot ext2 noauto,defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation
UUID=b179f468-a55e-4157-9961-e3bc9324ace8 none   swap  sw          0  0
/dev/sdb3       /bk             reiserfs         noatime           0  2
/dev/sdb5       /anex           reiserfs         noatime           0  2
/dev/sdb6       /anex2          reiserfs         noatime           0  2

[...]

Note the `noauto' for /boot