Re: What to expect following major update

On 11/24/2011 08:12 PM, Brian wrote:
On Thu 24 Nov 2011 at 09:41:12 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

2) Should it be considered a bug that grub files are written when boot
    is not mounted.

A file can be written to any directory, mounted or not. No bug here.

                     Seems like if the routine notices (which it does)
    that those files are absent, should there not be further code to
    check for boot being mounted?

I imagine GRUB could not put any files in /boot/grub because it did not
exist at the time the attempted install took place. If it had existed
the files would have appeared there. Directories are for putting files
in. Why should the package care whether it is mounted? You care, of
course - so you need to do something about it.

    It seems it should not be possible for `/boot/grub' to be created
    on an empty boot.  Not during an update.

Not unless update-grub is run. Then /boot/grub will be created and
grub.cfg put in it.

I have only been using Debian since 1993, 18 years, and do not recall ever having boot 'not' mounted. This is on syatems where I had boot on a separate partition and, currently, everything on one partition.

Back then, and currently, vmlinunz was/is in / and linked to /boot/vmlinuz-{kernel-version}. How does the system boot up if /boot is not mounted?

I must be missing something or I am getting too old to realize that Debian is doing magic tricks to confuse me, more then I already am, after reading this thread.