Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #2139

Woodchuck, 25.11.2011:

> I added the "obvious" line:
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze contrib non-free
>
> I then ran  "apt-cache gencaches" with silent results.
>
> Then I ran apt-get:
>
> root@julius:~# apt-get install gcc-doc
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package gcc-doc is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'gcc-doc' has no installation candidate
> root@julius:~#
>
> Perhaps there are other obvious things I need to find out about.

Did you run apt-get update, after you changed your sources.list but
before trying to install gcc-doc?

(I see you ran apt-cache gencaches.  Not being familiar with that, I
looked it up and I don't think it accomplishes the same thing as
apt-get update.)