Re: Nvidia driver fails to compile on kernel 3.X

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 19:01 +0000, Richard wrote:
> [snip] It wont build from the /usr/src/nvidia direcory, as it wants
> the kernel config file. [snip]

Please post the output of the log file. Are the linux-headers installed?

Half OT:
Since Nov 5 I kick installing the driver to 3.0.7-rt20. Perhaps I try
again this weekend. For the kernel-rt there's an additional issue, since
3 system calls from the rt patch need an additional patch, an illegal
patch, that change the license. Perhaps Linux should become an OS for
the rich people only, for those who can pay for Intel.
Even the nv FLOSS driver was removed from testing. I kept it for usage
with an old Nvidia card, since the FLOSS nouveau driver doesn't work
with old Nvidi cards, even if it's claimed that it should work.
Btw. even when I've got money to buy Intel, I don't do so, since
throwaway society is polluting our planet with the hazardous computer
waste. For my needs this "waste" is good enough to build a stable Linux
DAW, so I got much equipment from bulk waste pick-up.
This strange new Linux policy started some time ago. I e.g. needed to
replace my 3 wheel mouse by a new one, since something was dropped, but
I never found out what was dropped.
Anyway, ethical improper, but the easiest way for a Linux user, would be
to use Intel graphics. At least for DAWs :(, otherwise you are forced to
offend the GNU or to run a multimedia machine that isn't able to use 3D
apps, but some people might do audio and video productions.

This Nvidia issue is a PITA and it's not caused by Nvidia only, some
issues are made by some people from our community.

- Ralf