Re: Make WiFi work.

Le 23/11/2011 17:55, Richard a écrit :
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:59:29 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom<hvw59601@care2.com>  wrote:

Joel Roth wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:06:32AM +0100, Paul Isambert wrote:
Le 22/11/2011 20:52, Joel Roth a écrit :
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 03:29:44PM +0100, Paul Isambert wrote:
<snip>

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap USB wireless device
that *is* supported, till you can get the Realtek
stuff sorted out.

have fun

<snip>

Seems like a good idea but how harde is that to research? If I look into
NewEgg under  Computer Hardware>  Networking>  Wireless Networking>
Wireless Adapters, the lowest price USB adapter is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180074
for US$8.99, not expensive.
But it does not mention the chipset and the feedback has 1 user saying
that he installed it under Linux with difficulty.

Another one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166049
is US$11.99 and 2 users say it installed out of the box in Linux, but
don't mention the distrubution, 1 user says it installed with Ubuntu.
The details don't mention the chipset either.

Hugo

The later uses the RTL8712/8188/8191/8192SU series

Funny (so to speak) twist: I've bought a wifi USB stick which said "Linux" on the box. I thought installing the driver would be easy (like a Windows installer, of course!) -- but no, apprently it's made for 32-bit architecture, and mine is 64-bit. I've tried to compile nonetheless, but that didn't work. So now I have a useless USB stick, still no wifi, not to mention the book I could have bought instead...

Paul