Re: Make WiFi work.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:06:32AM +0100, Paul Isambert wrote:
> Le 22/11/2011 20:52, Joel Roth a écrit :
> >On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 03:29:44PM +0100, Paul Isambert wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I've just installed Debian next to Windows 7, with the first DVD
> >>(i.e. debian-6.0.3-amd64-DVD-1.iso). It was not without trouble, but
> >>now it works.
> >>
> >>The problem is the wifi. My card (Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN
> >>802.11n PCI-E NIC, says Windows) is apparently not recognized. I've
> >>tried various solutions explained here and there, I have installed
> >>firmware-realtek and ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant and I don't know
> >>what, nothing worked.
> >Hi Paul,
> >
> >Fellow RTL8191SE sufferer here (in a ThinkPad T410.)
> >
> >In my case, lspci says:
> >
> >     03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> >     RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller (rev 10)
> >
> >The ndiswrapper approach never worked for me.
> >
> >I compiled kernel 2.6.36 with the driver source I downloaded
> >from Realtek.
> >
> >http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=48&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8191SE-VA2
>
> I'd already tried to compile those... but compilation failed. Are
> you telling me I should compile the kernel itself with them? I.e.
> download Debian's sources, add those drivers somewhere (where?), and
> recompile everything?

Not telling you to. But that's how I managed to get it
to work. It took me months, of intermittent random walking
down paths to various possible solutions.

It is stupid, since you should only need the kernel headers
to compile a module. I would like to do it that way, and
move the module into the /lib/modules/<kernel_version>
hierarchy, but I never did figure out how to get the driver
indexed so that modprobe would find it.

I was hoping someone would also comment on how to activate Realtek
drivers in the kernel staging directory.

Then there's manual kernel compilation (which I've generally
been able to make work) and then there is the Debian Way,
which creates a kernel package.

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap USB wireless device
that *is* supported, till you can get the Realtek
stuff sorted out.

have fun

Joel

--