Re: "purge" a package without removing config or remaining files

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:31:55 -0500 (EST), Marc Auslander wrote:

> Thanks.  I was not clear enough.  It was automatically removed when
> the new package was installed.  It now lurks in the configured state
> waiting for me to accidently purge it and destroy my new
> installation.  I'd like to get rid that risk.

You might try renaming the config files temporarily, then purging
the old package, then renaming the config files back to their old
names.  Something like this:

     mv x.conf y.conf
     aptitude purge old-package-name
     mv y.conf x.conf

It will attempt to erase the config files during the purge, but it
will not find them, since they have been renamed.  If the missing
config files cause an error in the package purge (they shouldn't),
you can create dummy config files that it can happily erase.
Then, after the package is successfully purged, rename the files
back to the original names and you should be good to go.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :