Re: VLC missing sound

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:10:02 +0100
Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Apparently yet another pulseaudio error.  If I am not much mistaken the
> debian espeakup distribution I have working on this system uses alsa
> rather than pulseaudio which may be why it  works.  If some sound didn't
> work in my case, I'd not have Linux working at all since I need speech
> synthesis to take the place of what comes up on the screen.
> It may be possible to get your system working as it is, but if so I
> don't know how.  If your system will not work, it's time to install
> reportbug and file a bug with that program against pulseaudio not vlc.

Thanks for this advice.

I removed everything to do with pulseaudio excepting  libpulse0. Removing that
would have also removed VLC and the Spotify client.

This creates doubt about the VLC player as the Spotify client and
Iceweasel still have sound.

I hesitate to file a bug on VLC as the maintainer is frothing at the mouth
about how the debian-multimedia sources has screwed up his work.

I think I'll just leave things as they are here and if I need VLC go across
to sdb.

--
ps