Re: Is for this community XFCE the most common DE to replace GNOME 3?

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 08:39:06PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> do most of you replace GNOME 3 by XFCE?
>
> I'm undecided what to do, but I guess it would be wise to install
> parallel to GNOME 3 the most used alternative installed by users who are
> subscribed to this list.
>
> Excepted of KDE users, XFCE seems to be the most used replacement for
> GNOME 3. Am I mistaken?

I switched away from GNOME 2 a couple years ago, mainly because I was
using a very old laptop at the time and needed something really
lightweight.  I use Fluxbox now, even on my newer machines.

I like it because it is lightweight, fairly minimalist, and worked
basically the same as the mainstream desktops (there is a taskbar, a
dock, a menu, etc.)

Some of the setup requires editing text files.  I personally found it
interesting to choose exactly what programs I wanted to run at startup.
Setting it up was an enlightening experience -- not painful, but not
without some minor challenges.

I launch just about all my programs with keyboard shortcuts.  I can
move and resize my windows with keyboard shortcuts.  I raise and lower
my volume with keyboard shortcuts.  I love not having to use the mouse
if I don't want to.

-Rob