Re: Why do I have wpasupplicant installed if I don't have a wifi interface?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 03:43:13 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Can anybody tell me why I have wpasupplicant installed, even though I
> don't have a wifi interface on this machine?

(...)

I neither have a wifi interface in my lenny system... let's see:

sm01@stt008:~$ apt-cache rdepends wpasupplicant
wpasupplicant
Reverse Depends:
  wpagui
  wifi-radar
  network-manager
  network-config
  lxnm
  kwlan
  ifplugd

I have network-manager installed, that's for sure, so the package was
installed to fulfill with this requirement.

> If I try to deinstall wpasuplicant, it then wants to also remove
> network-manager and network-manager-gnome.  Should I just let it? What
> would be the consequences if I do?

No consequences if you don't need them but be very careful when removing
these packages (network-manager and network-manager-gnome), maybe they
are also required by other packages/metapackages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón