Re: Whats missing from Gnome3

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 01:44 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I still can restore the last GNOME 2 version of testing from a backup
> > and lock the GNOME 2 packages. There's no need to use the outdated
> > stable.
> >
> > For sure, using testing does mean that it's wise to backup, before doing
> > risky upgrades.
>
> While that is possible it will be setting yourself up for quite a
> complicated job to sort out security upgrades that you need from
> upgrades that you won't want.  And it will just keep going without an
> end in sight.

I agree that there will arise some dependency issues some day, but
security isn't an issue for a DAW. I could set SUID for each file or run
the desktop as root ;).

> > GNOME 3 anyway isn't ok at the moment, so it's not about using testing,
> > but about a dropped GNOME 2 that is stable.
> >
> > "But it is really bad that GNOME burned the bridge down first before
> > having created the new one."
> >
> > Why should we switch the DE? Why shouldn't we fight to get back GNOME 2
> > if we prefer this? If most people prefer GNOME 3 it would be ok. But
> > seemingly there are more voices that don't like GNOME 3.
>
> *I* am not suggesting that you need to switch desktop environments.  I
> have been running fvwm for a very long time just for that reason that
> I don't like the thrash.  (But I support people that run GNOME and so
> am affected by the GNOME changes just the same as everyone else.)
>
> The KDE users just went through this and KDE Trinity was the result.
> Maybe GNOME users should decide to do the same thing and jump straight
> to it.

I was a KDE 3 user and switched to GNOME 2, since I couldn't stand KDE
4 :(. At the moment I'm thinking of switching back to KDE 4 ... reading
the digest it seems that I'm  nearly the only one who writes to the
list. Seemingly I've got too much issues with GNOME 3 and should switch
to another DE. KDE 4 seems to be the only alternative for my needs.

I didn't know Trinity, perhaps this is what I need :).

Thanx,

Ralf