Re: Can we stop whining about GNOME3 please?

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 17:16:42 -0600
"Selim T. Erdogan" <selim@alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:

> I haven't understood yet:  Do you mean Windows 7's fancy graphics
> stuff (Aero?) may be turned off for lower-capability machines,

I would assume so, but my machine (and all the others I've seen running
Win7) doesn't have the graphics power for Aero, so it just doesn't
happen. But it's only the 3D effects which are missing, everything else
works the same.

> or do
> you mean MS offers the alternative of Windows 98?  (If the latter, I
> thought it wasn't getting updated anymore.

No, I was comparing what was left after the Gnome3 upgrade to Win98.
Right-clicking on the desktop no longer worked, and I had a cut-down
main menu, no panel, etc.

>  Is there anything that
> gives no-longer-updated Windows versions an advantage compared to
> older versions of Debian that include Gnome 2?)

Not really. As you say, XP has only a couple of years left, but it will
have been supported for over ten years. Most people will have replaced
their hardware at least once in that time. Vista/Win7 requires such a
large increase in power that the old machines can't do it at all. I
don't know if the netbook version is publicly available, and if that
would be of any use.

--
Joe