Re: GNOME3 Ugh! What specifically didn't work.

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 15:10:54 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Everything Camaleón wrote is true,

Your confirmation is reassuring...

> e.g. for the default Windows just the buttons are missing,

You can make them visible by using the gnome-tweak-tools package or
manually editing the configuration file.

> the right-click still is ok, e.g. using "Activities" is the way to
> break every sane workflow for serious usage, but OTOH it's a game for
> all those people who don't use the computer as a tool, but as a toy.

I don't pretend to use my computer as a toy nor I think GNOME developers
had that in mind. If you are unable to get used to it, it's okay, but
don't expect other users share your point of view.

In fact, the more I'm using gnome-shell the quicker I'm getting used to
the new layout. It seems I can live without a static-tree menu to launch
applications afterall. Come on, is not that hard.

> I'm using fallback mode and I'm still able to restore GNOME 2 ;).

You've been warned: this will dissapear sooner or later so you can start
looking for a replecement...

> The most serious issue is, that some professional FLOSS apps were
> written for GNOME 2, with GNOME 3 we fall back to an amateur OS
> regarding to some apps.

I still see many applications that are not integrated well with the new
environment but I also think is a matter of time they start functioning
again.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón