Re: GNOME 3 issue - Evolution is offline due to a network outage

Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> after upgrading all packages to latest GNOME 3 versions from testing
> Evolution still starts with "Evolution is currently offline due to a
> network outage. Evolution will return to online mode once a network
> connection is established". It's impossible to connect it. Evolution 3
> did work with GNOME 2 some days ago.
>
> Now Evolution only works, when I start it with the --force-online
> option, without an option or with --online only it doesn't work.

That is usually related to a combination of evolution, dbus, and
NetworkManager.  With all three installed the idea was that NM would
say whether it had a working network or not over dbus.  Tools like
evolution would ask on dbus about the state of the network and switch
to online or offline as networks were hotplugged.

This breaks down when the network isn't managed by NM but NM is still
running.  Such as when /etc/network/interfaces is configured to use
ifupdown instead.  If NM is running then it won't have any networks
under its control and it fails to recognize that the system does
actually have a network running outside of its control.  It will
respond to evolution that there are no active networks even though
there are active networks.  That is a bug in NetworkManager.

Depending upon your system and desire the solution is either to ensure
that NM is configuring the network so that it knows the network state
and can report it correctly or to ensure that it isn't configuring the
network and isn't running so that it can't report it incorrectly.

Bob