Re: Is GNOME 2 panel still in unstable?

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 05:15:42 +0000, Cam Hutchison wrote:

>> I'd like to keep using the panel from GNOME 2. I like its world clock,
>> the menu and a couple of applets.
>>
>> Is this still in unstable at all? The replacement seems to be less
>> functional (at the moment).

>Yes, you can still launch the "fallback" mode from login manager. There
>you can add the applets and put the panels in a similar way that GNOME2
>allowed.

I have tried fallback mode, but even in that mode I cannot configure the
panels, and it does not have the GNOME 2 world clock.

I like to have a single panel at the bottom of the screen with a
few useful things on it. I also have two monitors so I need a panel on
each, and each is configured differently.

It appears that the GNOME 3 panel is completely locked down with no way
to configure it, whether standard or fallback mode.

I accept that for my uses, I cannot use GNOME 3, which is why I'm
looking for a replacement panel for the GNOME 2 panel. I run fvwm under
GNOME 2, with a configuration that has evolved over 15 years. GNOME 3
model is so far away from my current desktop model that there's no
chance of giving it a go. GNOME 3 wont work with a different window
manager. There's a chance I could move from fvwm to compiz, if that will
work with GNOME 3, but so far, no other window manager lets me configure
it in the way I currently use fvwm.

I have tried xfce and kde, neither of which are to my taste. I could
elaborate, but it's really just personal preference and things I just
think are done poorly or incompletely.

I expect I will be going back to an .xinitrc/.xsession based setup,
cherry-picking the parts I like from existing tools. It looks like I
will need to find replacements for:

  * gnome-panel: There's a number of panels, most of which would
    probably be ok, except that the gnome world clock is not a separate
    component, but part of gnome-panel. Perhaps I'll look at what can be
    done to split it out into it's own component that can be used on any
    panel.
  * gnome-settings-daemon: I have a love-hate relationship with this at
    the moment - it mostly does things well but occasionally does things
    contrary to what I want and refuses to budge, or just seems to flake
    out sometimes. Since xsettings is a fdo spec, there's hope for
    drop-in replacements.
  * nautilus: I mostly use the command line, but I like the
    auto-mounting, and I'm one of those few users that like the spatial
    mode of nautilus.
  * gnome-bluetooth: This gives a nice easy way to set up bluetooth
    devices. I hope it can be run mostly independently of GNOME.
  * pulseaudio: I like it, and always have. I like being to easily move
    audio from my little USB speakers to my internal sound card
    connected to my amp and good speakers, and then to my bluetooth
    headphones. I've been living with a hobbled Debian version of GNOME
    for some time, since they've ripped out pulseaudio support from
    gnome-settings-daemon making my keyboard volume and mute keys
    non-functional.
  * system-config-printer-applet: Oh how I hate having to manually
    configure CUPS, and this tool seems to work most of the time.

On the plus side, it will be nice to get rid of the evolution mail
client and components altogether. I tried it for a while, but could not
adjust. I'm happy with a combination of mutt and gmail.

>> Otherwise is there a compatible panel available that can use the GNOME 2
>> world clock?

>World clock should available in gnome-shell 3.2.

Perhaps I'll revisit GNOME 3 then. It certainly has potential, but I'm
disappointed that it was released without being a superset of GNOME 2.

Thanks for your input.