Re: GNOME3 Ugh! Reverted to XFCE4

On 11/12/2011 12:38 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 18:25:21 +0100, Erwan David wrote:

On 12/11/11 18:22, Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:14:37 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

(...)

And more general, how can I customize gnome 3. I found one "advances
  tweak" application, but what one can do is very limited!

Debianites, gnome-shell 3.0 is not very user customizable (it is, but
is costly), we have to wait for the 3.2 or higher to be able to select
between themes and more options. Take gnome-shell 3.0 as a transient
step to another version and expect more changes for the new upcoming
releases.

FRom what I read, just consider gnome 3.0 as a pre-alpha...

Although probably GNOME developers don't like that term, I'd say "sort
of", yes.

Then maybe open bug reports to debian asking for gnome2 until gnome3 is
ready...

I've read that upcoming stable (wheezy) will be shipped with gnome-shell
3.2 or even 3.4, but I'm afraid gnome2 "as we used to know it" won't be
an option.

Greetings,

I seem to recall that this Gnome3 and Unity first came from Ubuntu. Canonical has come right out and said that they're after the
Apple market, and Apple products are _not_ customizable. So
why should anyone be surprised?

--doug