Re: GNOME3 Ugh! Reverted to XFCE4

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:14:37 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> see inline below.
>
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:08, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 11:41:46 -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> Perhaps others who dislike GNOME3 (does anyone not??)
>>
>> Hum... it's not GNOME3 but gnome-shell what you don't like.
>>
>> And nope, as soon as I can customize some of the basics of the shell
>> I'm fine. At the end of the day what I have used are programs
>> (thunderbird, LibreOffice, Firefox...) not a desktop environment. And
>> what's a desktop environment, by the way? "Something" that
>> allows/facilitates you to run your preferred applications :-)
>>
>> I can get used to the "new desktop paradigm" (or whatever they prefer
>> to name it), because regardless what GNOME developers and we -plain
>> users-
>
> I have several problems with gnome3 (or, then, gnome shell) . First, the
> menu button for "shutdown" has disappeared, how can i recover it?

Hold down the "Alt" key.

> And more general, how can I customize gnome 3. I found one "advances
>  tweak" application, but what one can do is very limited!

Debianites, gnome-shell 3.0 is not very user customizable (it is, but is
costly), we have to wait for the 3.2 or higher to be able to select
between themes and more options. Take gnome-shell 3.0 as a transient step
to another version and expect more changes for the new upcoming releases.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón