Re: Into: Coming over to Debian from Ubuntu

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 02:47:33PM -0500, Douglas Saylor wrote:
> I used Debian once before, years ago & at the time Debian seemed difficult
> to configure & software was way behind the times. I don't know if I'm just
> getting older & more cranky, but I *think* I'd rather have older but stable
> & "just works". For now, I'll have the option to boot into either Debian or
> Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu for years, but this Unity is killing me. Maybe
> Debian will be a better fit for me. If so, I'll shrink my Ubuntu partition
> or, maybe even delete the partition. If not, vise-versa ...Linux does give
> you options.

Check out Debian Backports to get some newer software on Debian Stable.

> I've put my time in with Unity as my main OS ...I'm not a fan. I tried to
> like Unity. At this point, instead of seeming "dated" I'm betting Debian is
> going to seem more like the old Ubuntu I once loved where as Unity is just
> frustrating. I *wanted* to like Unity. I appreciate the *concept* of one OS
> for phones, tablets & computers. Regretfully, Unity has only taught me to
> appreciate how great my iPhone works.

Remember that Gnome 2 is no longer under development, so Debian will
eventually be forced to use something else (most likely Gnome 3).  Of
course there are always other desktop environments and window managers
available (KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc.)  And of course you
could install any/most of those on Ubuntu if you wanted.

> For the same reason Canonical wants to be on multiple devices, I could see
> my next computer purchase being a Mac. I found Unity ...while pretty... was
> also cumbersome, poorly executed, non-intuitive, buggy &*very* frustrating.
> *Meanwhile* iOS is *so* polished, so easy, so intuitive & yes*very* pretty.
> *If* Unity ever makes it to phones/tablets, I'm sure I'll give it a good
> look-see on those devices. I must admit though, it'll take a *lot* for me
> to switch from iOS. While I "prefer" my Linux just work, I *demand* my
> phone "just works". Anyway, back to configuring the new OS.

I've never tried Unity myself.  But just remember that Unity is still
very new, and likely will improve over the next few releases.
Unfortunately (in my opinion), Ubuntu tends to push new stuff into their
official releases very early.  I think it damages their reputation, but
I guess it's their decision.  Anyway, just saying that Unity might get
better.

-Rob