Re: problems

On 11/11/2011 02:47 PM, HEDDY, WILLIAM wrote:

To whom it may concern,

I downloaded and installed Debian on my computer last night and I rebooted the computer and now all that comes up is a white cursor on a black screen.  Did I just completely kill my Windows 7 operating system?

Thanks for any help

Brandon Heddy

Possibly; depends on if you had separate partitions prior to the install, or non-destructively created new ones during the install, preserving your Windows 7 setup.

If the Windows 7 partition is still intact, it may just be a simplish matter of repairing the boot process. I've never quite understood all the ins-and-outs of grub (the GRand Unified Boot Loader), but you can probably fix that and get things working. However, since I don't understand all that, I'd boot from the Windows 7 installation CD, and use it's Repair option to fix the boot process; then I'd retry the Debian installation.

(CC:ing you just in case you're not on the list)

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com