Re: emacs RMAIL -- help needed

Sian Mountbatten writes:

>> Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu@operamail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Having loaded gnus into emacs23, in the group buffer I keyed ^
>>> and got a list of servers. Two entries caught my attention:
>>>
>>> {nnimap:Opera} (denied)
>>> {nntp:nntp.aioe.org} (opened) (agent)
>>>
>>> Why was Opera denied? Will there be a log anywhere? The *Messages*
>>> buffer contains nothing about trying to connect to my imap server.
>>
>> Maybe you've already posted it, and since others have mentioned how to
>> get more debug info.
>>
>> I wonder what your .gnus.el setting are.. can you post relevant
>> sections (obfuscating any private inforamation of course)
> Here is my .gnus file:
> (setq user-full-name "Sian Mountbatten")
> (setq user-mail-address "poenikatu@operamail.com")
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "nntp.aioe.org"))
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "Opera"
> 	 (nnimap-address "mail.messagingengine.com")
> 	 (nnimap-authenticator "poenikatu")
> 	 (nnimap-stream ssl)
> 	 (nnimap-server-port 993)
> 	 (remove-prefix "INBOX.")
> 	 (nnimap-authinfo-file "/home/sian/.imap-authinfo"))))
> (setq imap-log t)
> Here are the messages from my *Messages* buffer:
> ==================
> Reading active file from Opera via nnimap...
> Opening nnimap server on Opera...
> imap: Connecting to mail.messagingengine.com...
> imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect %s:%p'...done
> Waiting for response from mail.messagingengine.com...done
> Parsing authinfo file `/home/sian/.imap-authinfo'.
> Opening nnimap server on Opera...failed
> Opening nnimap server on Opera...
> Denied server nnimap+Opera
> Opening nnimap server on Opera...failed
> No new newsgroups
> ====================
> The file ~/.imap-authinfo contains the single line
> machine mail.messagingengine.com login poenikatu password ******* port 993
>
> Any ideas of why the Opera nnimap connection failed?

Hmmmm... check if you can connect manually from the shell:

$ openssl s_client -quiet -ssl3 -connect mail.messagingengine.com:993

Once you are connected, type the following command:

. LOGIN poenikatu@operamail.com <passwd>

to see if there is any problem login in. Note the initial period and the
space between it and the `LOGIN' command.

--
Alberto