Re: debian wheezy 64 bit --- on HP Pavillion dv6921la Notebook --- driver question!

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:45:06 -0600, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> Hola!

Hi! :-P

> I have debian Wheezy 64 bit installed, and just installed the new skype
> for 64bit debian.

AFAIK, there is no such a version. Skype only provides 32-bits binaries
for linux.

> It works OK, but it cannot access my camera --- it can receive video,
> but not send. Then I tried to start Cheese, which worked earlier when I
> had 32 bit linux on this same machine, but no says it cannot find any
> device.
>
> Any idea what package contains drivers for the camera?

Test the camera with another webcam application different than Cheese/
Skype, like Ekiga to check if it works (sending/receiving).

You can also check Skype help page for troubleshooting video issues:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/category/VIDEO/

And you can also launch the application from command line, maybe you get
a warning when using the video device.

Anyway, I would recommend you to use another VoIP application, Skype is
closed source and there are better alternatives. Ekiga worked very well
for placing plain phone calls :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón