Re: dial-up modem usage

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:54:39 -0500 (EST), Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm also using martian-modem, which provides a driver for my
> Agere WinModem.

By the way, I forgot to mention that your winmodem is one of the
best ones, in my humble opinion (i.e. the best of a bad breed),
since it provides a hardware digital signal processor (DSP).
Newer ones often don't even have that, which forces the main
CPU chip to do ALL the work, which consumes an excessive amount
of CPU time.  Another plus is that Debian has a set of packages
for this modem.  See

   http://wiki.debian.org/martian_dev

You may also find this link handy:

   http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/pdf/v90atcom.pdf

It documents the "AT" command set for this modem.  There are
individual variations from chipset to chipset, but this should
be fairly close.

I recommend that you install the minicom package too.  It is very
useful for testing modems.  You can enter "AT" commands by
hand and see the output, for example, even if you don't use it
to connect to a remote system.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :