Re: HTTP proxy over ssh recommendation?

Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > I am sure this must be a common need and already solved many times
> > over.  Can someone recommend a simple HTTP proxy program that I could
> > run on the remote ssh logged into system that I could then use to
> > provide my local browser access to the web on the remote private
> > network?
>
> A vanilla ssh tunnel sounds like exactly what you need.  You would
> tunnel a port on your local machine to the web port on the foreign
> machine.  Then you'd access www.private.com:80 by pointing your
> browser at local.server.com:8080 (as an example).

That almost works.  I actually already tried it.  The problem is when
the remote site uses full absolute URLs instead of short relative
paths.  Links with relative paths work fine.  But full URLs depart the
http://localhost:8080/ path and jump to http://www.example.com/ paths.

> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/38/Tunneling_connections_securely_with_SSH

Thank you very much for including a howto reference!  Very nice.
However that howto describes tunneling through to a remote squid
proxy.  That will of course work because squid is a full proxy.  But
when I was asking for a simple HTTP proxy I should have said that
Squid wasn't really simple.  I was hoping to avoid needing to set up a
full squid proxy there.

> Or just hit up Google for "ssh tunnel".

That will definitely yield a very large number of hits.  Unfortunately
out of that collection I was unable to find any that dealt with this
problem.  Almost all of the hits will be about tunneling ports and not
about tunneling http over a port to a simple proxy.

Thanks anyway!

Bob