Re: Adobe flash is dead [OT]

On 10/11/11 11:10, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 19:51 +0000, Andrew Wood wrote:
>> Why do Linux distros consider it desirable to install Gnash by
>> default?

Because most GNU/Linux distributions try and provide a secure user
experience. FFflash is the antidote for security.

Gnash can be freely distributed.

>> I understand the desire to have a free flash player but Gnash
>> is a very poor implementation and I think it tarnishes Linux's image
>> rather than enhances it.

Two solutions Andrew - write a better "reverse engineered"/"clean room"
Fffflash player, or, contribute better code to the Gnash project.
Preferably you'd chose a third option - avoid anything that requires the
use of Ffflash in the first place. It's not like it does much[*1] that
can't be better done in a modern browser *without* having to install
third-party software (and update it every other week).

> Why bother with non-free software when we're talking about a technology
> that's dying like BSD these days?

BSD is dying? Really? Please explain Paul.

[*1] some audio functionality.

Cheers